The New Forum

noved1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that my total posts count has dropped after the conversion. Before the conversion, I had over 2000 and was gaining on 2100, but now I've dropped to below 2000. Did we lose some threads?

I don't remember if you had said or not, but is this new forum software the same as the old one, with just more features, or is it a brand new brand of software?

I noticed that my total posts count has dropped after the conversion. Before the conversion, I had over 2000 and was gaining on 2100, but now I've dropped to below 2000. Did we lose some threads?

I don't remember if you had said or not, but is this new forum software the same as the old one, with just more features, or is it a brand new brand of software?

Darryl,

Yes. some of the threads were dropped from the conversion. I cleaned things up a bit by removing some categories like the PLUS section (will return soon in some form) and the swap and shop section. Since every post you may have made to those categories no longer exist, they would not be credited to you here.

Also, it is a different software than the old forum.

Well I was waiting for it and now it has happened. I have been getting some negative comments about the new forum. All I ask is please give the new format a chance!

Everything that we had in the old version is still here. I've gotten comments from some saying things like "I can't do XXXX now?" or "I miss the old XXXX feature." Each time, I had to point out that they "can..." and they "still have..."

Not only do we still have the same core features but we've added many new ones. I encourage everyone to click on "My Settings" from the menu on the right column and adjust and customize everything you can about your experience here. I set the board up to give you everything by default. If it's too much, there are things you can disable in your settings. There are things you can collapse and hide all over the forum. You can even use the "Mobile" skin and see nothing but the posts!

My point in all of this is to remind you that when we changed formats the last time, everyone hated it. Even I did. I got comments like "I can't find anything", "It's too cluttered", and "I can't figure out how to do..."

Guess what? We all got used to it and realized that we liked it better than the previous version. Myself included.

Be patient, make suggestions, take the time to get used to it. PM me if you can't find something or figure out how to do something. I've put a ton of time and effort into this.

Be patient, make suggestions, take the time to get used to it. PM me if you can't find something or figure out how to do something. I've put a ton of time and effort into this.

Steve,

I don't think we will ever really know just how much effort you put into not only the changeover but also just the day to day BS of keeping it up and running. I'm sure that the overwhelming majority of us really appreciate and applaud your efforts, so don't let the naysayers get to you. ;D

What does the multiquote do? I click on it and nothing happens.

Well I was waiting for it and now it has happened. I have been getting some negative comments about the new forum. All I ask is please give the new format a chance!

Everything that we had in the old version is still here. I've gotten comments from some saying things like "I can't do XXXX now?" or "I miss the old XXXX feature." Each time, I had to point out that they "can..." and they "still have..."

Not only do we still have the same core features but we've added many new ones. I encourage everyone to click on "My Settings" from the menu on the right column and adjust and customize everything you can about your experience here. I set the board up to give you everything by default. If it's too much, there are things you can disable in your settings. There are things you can collapse and hide all over the forum. You can even use the "Mobile" skin and see nothing but the posts!

My point in all of this is to remind you that when we changed formats the last time, everyone hated it. Even I did. I got comments like "I can't find anything", "It's too cluttered", and "I can't figure out how to do..."

Guess what? We all got used to it and realized that we liked it better than the previous version. Myself included.

Is there some sort of cheat sheet we can use to find out how to make the changes we'd like?

Also, how do I set up the rss so I can read the posts on my phone?

Also, what's the difference between the user photo and the user avatar. Which of the two will be attached to the messages we post. From what I can tell now, it's the photo, not the avatar.

Also, I notice that when I use the reply button on the bottom of a thread, and I am the last one to have posted to the thread, my most recent post will be added to my previous post as a single post, rather than two different posts. How do we get around that?

Is there some sort of cheat sheet we can use to find out how to make the changes we'd like?

Also, what's the difference between the user photo and the user avatar. Which of the two will be attached to the messages we post. From what I can tell now, it's the photo, not the avatar.

Daryl: If you click on multiquote and then reply you get multiple quotes from the post you are replying to. (At least I did)

Also, I notice that when I use the reply button on the bottom of a thread, and I am the last one to have posted to the thread, my most recent post will be added to my previous post as a single post, rather than two different posts. How do we get around that?

Darryl,

Multiquote -- To quote another post in your reply, you can either click the "Reply" button beneath a post, or use the multiquote feature. Multiquote is used when you want to quote more than one post in your reply. Select the "MultiQuote" button underneath the posts you want to quote, and you will notice that the button will change color. To undo this, just press the button again. When you have marked all the posts you want to quote, press the "Add Reply" button as normal.

RSS - Not sure about the RSS question. I don't have a smart phone so I never really tried to figure that one out. We do have a mobile skin though. Under "Miscellaneous" in the right column, use the dropdown and select "TVF Mobile". I've heard that it produces a clean interface for mobile devices.

Photo vs avatar -- The Photo will show in your profile while the avatar appears next to your posts.

Successive post merging -- If you make two or more successive posts to the same topic within 5 mins, your posts will be merged. To get around this, you have two options...

1 - Wait 6 minutes before posting again, or

2 - Bribe the admin to remove this setting. :D

I really like the new classified section. It seems much more appropriate than just a forum thread.

I don't know if it's my low powered PC, but I noticed that moving from page to page, it takes several seconds for the page to redraw. It shifts around through several steps to redraw the page. Like I said, it may be my crappy pc, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Successive post merging -- If you make two or more successive posts to the same topic within 5 mins, your posts will be merged. To get around this, you have two options...

1 - Wait 6 minutes before posting again, or

2 - Bribe the admin to remove this setting. :D

So how much is it gonna cost me to bribe you? lol j/k a lot of times I have a second thought. sometimes merging is great and other times, it doesn't get my point across the way I want it to.

Guess I can always wait 6mins and hope I don't forget what I was going to say! ;D

How crappy of a machine? You're not using IE are you? The forum bogs down markedly in IE.

I don't use IE if I can help it. I use the most recent firefox. I tried chrome too. I have a little aspire with 1gb of memory and is about 2.0 ghz. My work laptop seems to have much better response.

I like what I have experienced so far. I am using IE. I am still afraid to try another browser. Not sure why but I am........... :-[

John, you don't know what you're missing. The forum doesn't even display properly in IE so what you are looking at right now looks nothing like what it's supposed to look like.

Do yourself a favor, download Chrome and enjoy the forum as it was meant to be. At the very least, you'll get rid of that ugly IE message!

I like what I have experienced so far. I am using IE. I am still afraid to try another browser. Not sure why but I am........... :-[

I am using IE also and I can still read all the post in full line and the golpher hole. Dont care about the rest

a lot of times I have a second thought. sometimes merging is great and other times, it doesn't get my point across the way I want it to.

I always use the 'Edit" button. That means if I make a post that required any thought what-so-ever you have to wait a few minutes before replying because I'm probably changing it!!!! :lol:

One thing I miss from the old forum is the list of most recent posts that would appear at the top of the page. I don't know how to replicate that with the new software.

One thing I miss from the old forum is the list of most recent posts that would appear at the top of the page. I don't know how to replicate that with the new software.

Upper right corner next to the RSS symbol is a link that says "View Recent Content" This link is configurable in your settings to show either "All unread content" or "New content since your last visit"

When you click that link, you will see the following 5 tabs of content type...

1 - New Posts

2 - New Members

3 - New Gallery Content

4 - New Blog Entries

5 - New Clasified ads

Choose a tab to see all of the new content in that category. I love this feature and it is the first page I go to when I log on.

You can also click the "Today's Active Content" link in the right column and that will bring up all the latest posts as well.

Archived