Question about a location

lurtsman

And I got the address and was shocked to see it was in the mall. It is in a sarku japan. The place is pretty small, and there are only a few employees. So If it is in the break room (if there is one), it will probably be a dud. If it is infront of the store, it would likely provide excellent sales-except the mall has a rule against vending machines because they want to charge insane rates--and there is one or two vendors paying them.

Any ideas? I'll need to move quickly as the e-mail showed the location being obtained on the 10th, though I received the letter today on the 14th.

Do I just call the manager of the store and ask him? Would he be there Saturday--that is usually the busiest day at the mall...

If it is out front, do I put in gumballs? People about to eat don't really want gumballs, but there would be a ton of kids. I almost think it would have to be in the back, but if Sarku has a private breakroom, it has to be very small. The front of their store is only about 70-100 square feet. (Yeah, It's small)

(My concern if it is infront, is of having someone walk off with it--particuarly someone from the mall)

if its in a mall then you are going to have to pay a commission unless like you said there is a small break room which wont see any traffic. I would request a new location because with my experience you will have nothing but issues with the mall management and it will be more of a headache than it would be good. i have some alternative medical vending machines in mall bathrooms and they will with my experience want to put you in a contract and require you to prove all necessary licensing paperwork and business credentials.  but just my 2 cents.

I don't think that charity means break room on this deal. Most charity machines are not gonna be in break rooms. The problem is gonna be the mall management not the fact that it's charity. Just gonna have to talk with the location and go from there.

nam

Lurtz,

I believe davivsurvz has a machine placed in the front of a mall store. If memory "survz", I believe he said the store placed it just outside their door, in the mall, every day when they opened and took it inside when they closed. I don't think he pays anything to the mall but I could be wrong.

Maybe David will chime in here.

Steve

That would be great Steve.

I visisted the mall for a full day before, I spoke to a store that had a machine located just inside their front door from a vendor and he said mall management constantly gave them heat for having it there because they wanted to be able to charge the vendors. If the machine is at the front it's great--the location is in a food court though so it will be tricky. I will attempt to place it then. I was figuring I'd hear more tales of caution.

Also, I have the titan stands for my millenia. They seem to have a desire to create a rust ring around the bottom. What can I do to prevent that from happening to their tiles?

(Anymore info on mall locations and what this might be is encouraged. The more perspectives I can hear from and learn from the quicker I can make decisions like a more experienced vendor.)

That would be great Steve.

I visisted the mall for a full day before, I spoke to a store that had a machine located just inside their front door from a vendor and he said mall management constantly gave them heat for having it there because they wanted to be able to charge the vendors. If the machine is at the front it's great--the location is in a food court though so it will be tricky. I will attempt to place it then. I was figuring I'd hear more tales of caution.

Also, I have the titan stands for my millenia. They seem to have a desire to create a rust ring around the bottom. What can I do to prevent that from happening to their tiles?

(Anymore info on mall locations and what this might be is encouraged. The more perspectives I can hear from and learn from the quicker I can make decisions like a more experienced vendor.)

What I do to prevent rust stains is buy a long piece of plastic runner from Ace Hardware.  I cut it up into pieces and use it under each base.

Interesting Tbird, how do you attach it?

(I'm pretty much pure fail @ knowing how to do standard hardware things that do not involve a computer)

I am as bad as you brotha.  I do not attach it.  I simply cut a square piece and place it on the floor and place the machine base on it.

Lurtsman

To prevent rust rings I get some plastic automotive edge trim (designed for car door edges to prevent door dings)  and install it on the bottom edge of the stand. The trim that I get is available in black, chrome or gold, ïs about 1/4"wide and 4'long. Just cut it to the correct length and clip it on to the bottom edge of the base. A little 3M weatherstrip adhesive helps it stay on . Don't know if this will work on your Titan stands.

Ernie

For mine I take a piece of black hose and cut it down the center and wrap it around the edge of the stand. it actually make it look a little nicer and works great for not allowing any of the metal to touch the ground.

3 votes pretty much seals the deal.

These are some great ideas. Will confer with my wife tonight and plan to pick up materials at lowe's tomorrow and go to the Sarku with the machine. Incase it goes in a hot area, it will be skittles/gumballs, which I'm expecting to be slightly less vulnerable than chocolate products.

Yes, I have been in this situation. I have had some challenges along the way but this has proven to be one of my best locations. I would recommend that you find out if you can place it out in the common mall area in the stores "leased space."

Here is a short version of my story:

I hired a locator to get me a location (this is a charity location by the way.) Locator contacts me with (Bear Rock Cafe.) I go into the store and it is a restaurant  with an outside entrance and it is also connected to the food court in the mall. Woo-Hoo!!

To top it off the manager tells me I can place the machine out in the food court in their "leased" space. I didn't place it out there initially because she said the "old one got stolen." I eventually moved it out to the food court area and there was a guy who had a "Gumball Kiosk" located there for a while. Even while he was there I did OK. Eventually the manager of the Bear Rock Cafe restaurant became the mall manager. I went to service my machine at the restaurant and she happened to be there. My machine was inside the store and not in the food court?:huh:

I said hello and asked her if there was a problem with the machine (It was actually 2 machines because I also had a DI there for a while too.) She said that she was now the mall manager and found out that they didn't allow the selling of gum products from vending machines anywhere in the mall. I asked her if I could replace the gumballs with Reeses Pieces and keep the machine there, she said that would be fine. I asked her if I could still keep the machine in the food court area and she said that would be fine too. A few weeks later the other vendor there pulled his 3 gumball Kiosks out of the mall (probably because they wouldn't allow him to sell anymore gum products.) So now my 1800 machine is the only machine in the food court and believe it or not Bear Rock Cafe closed a couple of months ago and my machine is still sitting in the food court commission free making me quarters (for now.)

I would recommend putting something on the bottom of the stand to protect the floor (you don't want to upset the mall.) Find out from the person who approved the location if you can place it out in the food court common area. If there are other vendors in the area who are paying for floor space in the mall they may complain about it. Just give it a shot and see how it goes. I wish you the best on this. My machine has been there for about 15 months. I hope I can have it there for at least another 15 months.:D

David

Thanks for the story david. That is great to here. I will try to do that. Since this place is directly on the food court I do not know if their leased space extends even a foot in front of the counter, but I will surely look into it. I know this mall has several gumball machines inside, but they were all on rented space (except 2, one belonging to a store and one where some one got in by being a friend)

Edit: After thinking about what I've heard and discussing it my wife, I'm thinking if it's in the break room (for 5 employees or so) that it would do terrible. If it is in the front by the cash register it could be hot though.

I played with the various wheels I have for the machines; the seaga double head has enough gumball wheels and candy wheels for any combination. I was thinking gumballs/skittles, but now I'm thinking maybe gumballs and 1 inch toys. I checked and the toy capsule fits in the hole with plenty of space--I don't think it would misvend much if at all. I may test some tonight. Since the globe is round it would be more convient to use a toy with a flat display if I use a toy. I was thinking maybe my mini-glow sticks? I'd be short a display for the rack when I get it located, but I could always have one shipped with an order of blockheadz for my rack that burns though them like candy--or I could just have a glossy color copy made (assuming I can find a decent photo-shop to do it).

Does that sound like a good plan? If it is in the back I would do skittles and expect to have to have to replaced in a month, but it's worth asking to get up front by the register. Then I would also be right next to the line for panda express--and that is usually a long line.  Having customers on both sides going by my machine could cause insane sales. (My 2 flat options are the glow sticks or glow in the dark aliens. I wanted to do blockheadz (though I only have like 50 of those capsules left), but would need to create a flat display for them.

/goes off to ponder until more responses arrive :)

Went to place it this morning. Just got back and e-mailed Rob asking for a new location. Here's a portion of the e-mail that should explain it for anyone interested:

After going to visit Sarku Japan, I was unable to place the machine. I knew the mall attempted to prevent machines from coming in without huge rental fees, but was quite impressed by the charity placement at the food court. I spoke to the woman behind the cash register and after several tries she told me in broken English that she didn't know "Mario". I figured maybe if I could speak to a manager there he would at least know the other managers. She points to the man closest to her and says, "He is the manager, he doesn't speak any English". The idea of having visibility in the food court was excellent, however the lack of anyone there I could communicate with kept me from being able to place the machine.

I assume since I wasn't able to place the machine (lack of any manager who could understand english) that the replacement location is free?

I don't blame Rob, the idea was good. Apparently they had managed to get ahold of someone who spoke enough english to say Yes. Unfortunately I couldn't find that person, and didn't want to come in two weeks later and ask where my machine was to be met with people staring at me like I was crazy.