Repair Training

Conallvending

Did a quick search and didn't find this.

My wife and I recently purchased a full line route. We can use the the repair guys from the company we purchased the route from to fix the machines but I would like to learn to do some of the repairs myself. Do any of the manufacturers give classes on repairing their machines? The machines are all National machines.

Thanks

Crane/National sometimes offers training of their own but they will also occasionally offer training classes that are set up by distributors.  Those schools may also cover Dixie Narco and MEI since Crane owns them too.  Check with Crane about their next scheduled internal school using the information in the 6th post within the first link of Caserri's post above.  Your only other chance of a free service school would be put on by a machine distributor.  There are very few distributors remaining now and the last school I'm aware of was put on by Lieberman Music in Minnesota during one of their open houses.  You do need to realize that these schools are to introduce the current models to vendors and they won't cover older models.  Other manufacturers that might do service schools at distributors are AMS, Vendo and Royal.  USI does their own internal schools on a regular basis but only for their new machines and they only cover the basics. 

This is a business that you have to learn on your own and on the fly so if you are mechanically inclined and are willing to read the manuals for each of your machines, you will learn a lot that way.  If you have a place to get your parts locally such as a repair-only operation or a machine distributor, they should not be shy about explaining how to install any particular part and even help you diagnose a problem.  I will tell you though, that is exactly how you can use the resources here on this forum.  We can help you diagnose a problem and tell you what your options are.  We can also advise you on whether you should tackle it yourself or pay the tech to do it for you.  If you do pay the tech to do it then don't be afraid to watch him so you can learn some repair techniques.  There's no reason you can't do the simple things like replacing coin mechs, validators, vend motors, change prices, perform test vends, reprogram machines, etc. yourself.  If you don't have the resources there to ask questions of then that's what we're here for.  

When I got started, vending was very well entrenched in the US and here in the Phoenix area we had three machine distributors and a couple of people that did repair work, so I had lots of sources of help.  I did all my own repairs and while eventually doing business with everyone, I wasn't afraid to ask how the part I was buying was to be installed.  Once you do something yourself the first time, you'll remember how to do it the next time.  Now we have ZERO distributors and the only parts sources are the few repair guys like me that remain - and there are too many of us for the amount of vending business now. 

Congratulations on your new route and I hope you're very successful!  Please PM me if you need any parts or other help with your machines.

This forum IS vending repair training. I often give AZVendor a call when I have a question but I also buy parts from him. I'm a bit price sensitive based off of what I can afford and how much I need something and he helps so I believe he deserves my business. Now if only he was local to me...

Did a quick search and didn't find this.

My wife and I recently purchased a full line route. We can use the the repair guys from the company we purchased the route from to fix the machines but I would like to learn to do some of the repairs myself. Do any of the manufacturers give classes on repairing their machines? The machines are all National machines.

Thanks

The main parts that you'll find yourself replacing are the coin mechs and bill valdators.  The coin mechs are mounted on three screws via a keyhole on the back of the mech - just pop the mech up and remove.  The validators are held in by 11/32" nuts usually - get a nut driver with a long shaft or a small socket set with an extension.  Most of the other repairs seldom occur and are usually pretty straight forward.  Look for a good technician in your area if you find yourself over your head with something.  The first route that I bought was from a guy who would pay someone to replace his mechs and validators - don't be this guy.

I agree with everything said above. I don't think there is a very big percentage of operators who have ever taken any formal training, but they seem to almost always figure out how to keep their equipment working. Its just something (as said above) that you learn from doing. For example when I first bought my route I was thinking just like you, and was somewhat intimidated by all the terms (24v, 110v, mdb, etc) and different programming for each brand and sometimes models of machines. Eventually though I have learned from doing, and now walk into a location and have confidence that the majority of the time I can have the machine back in operation within 10-15 minutes. I give tremendous credit to this forum, there are a lot of pro's on here who have been vending for years and are very willing to help anyone, so read, study, ask questions and don't be afraid because its mostly straight forward simple stuff.

Mistakes are made. After 28 years I still make them. I find that if the problem is difficult stand back go do something else and then come back and try again. Sometimes the solution is right in front of you and you can't see it because of frustration. Getting away lets you clear  mind.

My first experience I will never forget was working on a manual pull knob cigarette machine at Red Lobster 5 pm on Friday night. Was trying (very green at the time) to clear a jam. Started taking screws out and inadvertently took one to many out and all these springs and metal parts started flying out at me. Wasn't a pretty picture. But 2 hours later I did get it back together.

One thing I do when replacing boards before removing any plugs is count how many plugs there is. Then start on the left side and number each plug starting with 1. going clockwise. That way when you're done you know you have replaced all of them and there isn't one hiding in the back somewhere..  You will find your cell phone now days is a good tool. Take pictures so you have a reference. And always turn power off before disconnecting anything electrical.   

I just aquired my first machines and just yesterday changed pricing unjammed and dumped a bottle in that column.

It was all very easy just figured it out on my own. Thought I had a gliche soda machine wouldn't exit programming mode when you closed the door.

Its kind of common sense stuff figuring out how things work… So I thought maybe its not registering the the door being closed sure enough just pushed the back shaft of the locking T handle and it went back to normal mode.

Like any new business there will be a learning curve. I do everything there is to do in vending and I still learn everyday and over twenty years ago I new nothing about this business. Your starting off right by being here on this fourm. There is a vast amount of knowledge of people on here that will be able to learn from. Good luck to you and welcome to the vending business,

Archived