Abandoned machines/routes

Arqangel13

Hello everyone:

I have been reading a lot, especially the Ultimate Vending Guide and it has all been very enlightening.  I have come upon some threads that state that some vendors have abandoned their routes and/or machines.  I guess they either forgot about them or decided it is not worth the trouble to service them.  They probably thought it was going to be as easy as just collecting the money without putting in any effort.

My question is what happens to those machines?  Do the owners actually just leave them their without any claim?  Does the business keep the machine?  I've been seeing where other vendors locate their machines in these abandoned locations because no one is servicing it.  I guess I see why the business owner would allow a new vendor to locate his/her machine in their business, but who contacts the former vendor?

I ask because this seems to be a little confusing to me. I am trying to acquire my first bulk vending machine and then  I would like to locate it.  I have seen some locations where the machines look pretty beat up.  I am guessing they are no longer being serviced.  Does anyone have any opinion on this subject?  Thanks.

Mario

If its not yours or on your property, you have no claim to it.

The owner of the property would have to follow the abandoned property laws in that state in order to acquire it himself.

Even if he said "yeah, go ahead and take it," he doesn't have the right to say that.

Stealing is a clearly black and white issue. Nobody wants there machines tampered with or taken.

The golden rule applies!

No.  You misunderstand.  I don't want the abandoned machine so I wasn't planning on touching them.  I just wanted to know how they are removed.  Does the owner of the establishment move them?  After all, if I were to place a vending machine next to one of the abandoned machines, I think it will reflect badly on me.  I think people would think that they belong to me and I should be servicing them.  I don't want the responsibility for the abandoned machines if I were able to get one of these locations.  I also don't want someone else grouping my machine with the abandoned one and "accidentally" removing it with the non-serviced machines.  Sorry I wasn't clearer about that, but I appreciate your posts.  Thanks. Mario

No. You misunderstand. I don't want the abandoned machine so I wasn't planning on touching them. I just wanted to know how they are removed. Does the owner of the establishment move them? After all, if I were to place a vending machine next to one of the abandoned machines, I think it will reflect badly on me. I think people would think that they belong to me and I should be servicing them. I don't want the responsibility for the abandoned machines if I were able to get one of these locations. I also don't want someone else grouping my machine with the abandoned one and "accidentally" removing it with the non-serviced machines. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that, but I appreciate your posts. Thanks. Mario

Sorry, misunderstood!

You can still try to get that location.

Talk to the business owner.

If it isn't being properly maintained, at his discretion, he could move it to the back store room until claimed by the rightful owner, but that's his call.

I wouldn't think it would reflect poorly on you, if anything it would reflect positively on you if you service it regularly and keep it clean!

No.  You misunderstand.  I don't want the abandoned machine so I wasn't planning on touching them.  I just wanted to know how they are removed.  Does the owner of the establishment move them?  After all, if I were to place a vending machine next to one of the abandoned machines, I think it will reflect badly on me.  I think people would think that they belong to me and I should be servicing them.  I don't want the responsibility for the abandoned machines if I were able to get one of these locations.  I also don't want someone else grouping my machine with the abandoned one and "accidentally" removing it with the non-serviced machines.  Sorry I wasn't clearer about that, but I appreciate your posts.  Thanks. Mario

You have some good questions.

They have been addressed throughout the forum a lot, so make sure to read through the forum aside from reviewing any answers you may get here.

But, here is my .02 to the issues on your post:

How are they removed? Does the owner of the establishment move them?

However the location owner wants to remove them, they can remove them...so long as it doesn't involve you.

Let the owners/managers of the locations handle it.

You didn't permit those abandoned machines to be placed, you didn't allow them to sit unattended, and they are not your property or responsibility.

If I were to place a vending machine next to one of the abandoned machines, I think it will reflect badly on me.  I think people would think that they belong to me and I should be servicing them.  I don't want the responsibility for the abandoned machines if I were able to get one of these locations.

If anyone believes your machine and the abandoned machine belong to the same owner, you are not doing a very good job of servicing.

A regularly stocked, cleaned, and maintained machine will never be accidentally confused as belonging to the same owner as the dusty, empty, and abandoned equipment.

I also don't want someone else grouping my machine with the abandoned one and "accidentally" removing it with the non-serviced machines.

Properly label and regularly service your equipment. Make sure your contact info is clearly posted on AND in the machine. If people remove your machine claiming they thought that your well-maintained and properly labeled machine belonged to the same owner as the abandoned equipment they'd be lying.  And that's theft. Theft is a part of the business and you will never create a route of any decent size without having some theft. But at least, properly labeling and caring for your equipment will avoid the truly accidental mistakes.

Generally speaking a lot of your concerns can be alleviated by properly maintaining your route.

And it doesn't hurt if the right people know who you are and which equipment is yours.

Don't just sneak in, service, and run out without making at least some eye contact and (if possible) a little conversation.

Taking the time to get to know the location's employees/managers/owners will avoid some of the issues you are worried about.

one person told me, they just found out this huge rack had stock keys, and they just started using it. not removing it, just using it. I said, that could go bad, what if the owner or thier rep shows up one day? there goes all your product and money.

one person told me, they just found out this huge rack had stock keys, and they just started using it. not removing it, just using it. I said, that could go bad, what if the owner or thier rep shows up one day? there goes all your product and money.

Change the locks and chain it down.  ;-P

Thats why I rekey my machines with the same lock types and unique key code. Not perfect but helps plus its nice to have one key for all heads.

You have some good questions.

They have been addressed throughout the forum a lot, so make sure to read through the forum aside from reviewing any answers you may get here.

But, here is my .02 to the issues on your post:

If I were to place a vending machine next to one of the abandoned machines, I think it will reflect badly on me.  I think people would think that they belong to me and I should be servicing them.  I don't want the responsibility for the abandoned machines if I were able to get one of these locations.

If anyone believes your machine and the abandoned machine belong to the same owner, you are not doing a very good job of servicing.

A regularly stocked, cleaned, and maintained machine will never be accidentally confused as belonging to the same owner as the dusty, empty, and abandoned equipment.

I also don't want someone else grouping my machine with the abandoned one and "accidentally" removing it with the non-serviced machines.

Properly label and regularly service your equipment. Make sure your contact info is clearly posted on AND in the machine. If people remove your machine claiming they thought that your well-maintained and properly labeled machine belonged to the same owner as the abandoned equipment they'd be lying.  And that's theft. Theft is a part of the business and you will never create a route of any decent size without having some theft. But at least, properly labeling and caring for your equipment will avoid the truly accidental mistakes.

Thanks everyone. Sherlock,  I have looked around the forum, but did not find all of the answers and that is why I posted this question.  I'm still new at this.  I just wanted to touch on a couple of these points.  Up until this week, I didn't even know that one location could have more than one vendor servicing the route.  I think most people have the same idea.  That is why I worried that, even if I serviced my machine correctly, people might still think "why is he servicing some machines and not the others?"  That was my concern.

As for labeling my machines, I intend to do more than that.  I was thinking of having a logo painted or stenciled on each machine to differentiate myself from the others.  I think that would show some pride in ownership as well as professionalism.  However, I am still worried about theft.  You don't want to create a profitable route and come to service it only to find that your machine was stollen.  Mjacks,  I think chaining them down might help, but doesn't that look bad?  Maybe chains would be ok for machines that are outside of an esablishment.  I don't know yet, I have to do more research.  But I will definitely make sure that all the machines are rekeyed and well labled.

I fully intend to make sure that the owners, managers, other employees, etc. know who I am and that I am servicing my route.  I agree with you on that.  Besides, one thing I learned in business is that the only way to garner trust is for you to get to know the principals and have them get to know you.  Interaction is key.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and I will keep reading to forum.  Please forgive me if I ask a question that has already been asked (probably most questions have already been asked), but I haven't found all of the posts yet.  I will keep reading and learning.  Take care.

Mario

Custom painting your machines so that they stand out can do A LOT of positive things for your route.

If that's something you can do for yourself, don't hesitate to do so.

Yes.  I'm already working on a logo.  I can have it made into a stencil.  I also have some airbrush experience.  What would you suggest for a good base color for the machine.  A lot of machines are red and yellow.  Are those the best colors to use?

Yes.  I'm already working on a logo.  I can have it made into a stencil.  I also have some airbrush experience.  What would you suggest for a good base color for the machine.  A lot of machines are red and yellow.  Are those the best colors to use?

Not really.

Some folks around here have posted pictures of very original color schemes and they look GREAT.

If I were you, I would not limit myself to only the colors I already see other vendors using....that sort of defeats the purpose.

I was actually thinking of off-the-wall colors. Green, violet, royal or cobalt blue, etc. I just wanted to know if the weird colors would be bad for sales.

Color is relative and personal preference! I don't think any one will criticize the color of your machine, not will they say "Oh look! A magenta gumball machine, I think I want a gumball from that machine!!"

Bright colors draw people's attention, which you want your machine to get noticed!

Good luck on YOUR choice!

I was actually thinking of off-the-wall colors.  Green, violet, royal or cobalt blue, etc.  I just wanted to know if the weird colors would be bad for sales.

You could also add a practical approach with your painting custom colors on your machines as well. Many locations have a more upscale interior and the standard red or bold colors of candy vending machines just dont fit in. Locations like more upscale mexican restaurants, bistros, cafes etc. These can still be excellent locations. If you can paint a more classy paint like a nice gloss black or burgundy, you may have better luck getting in these.

Thanks guys.  I guess I don't have to make all of them the same color. I could taylor it to the location. Or I could pick on color for upscale location and another color for other locations.  I just want to stand out.  This is very helpful information. Now I just need to get my first machine.  I have been looking on Ebay, but most of those say "local pickups" only.  That is kind of distressing. Take care. Mario

painting them yourself saves big bucks too.

Oak wants between 2.00 to 8.00 per machine for custom colors.

and unless you are buying like 100 at once you have to wait for them to get to your painting batch. common is red. a big vendor in calif. is using yellow.

I like green or blue myself. they would be easy to paint, head top, head base, body, and base.

painting them yourself saves big bucks too.

and unless you are buying like 100 at once you have to wait for them to get to your painting batch. common is red. a big vendor in calif. is using yellow.

I like green or blue myself. they would be easy to paint, head top, head base, body, and base.

What part of California? 

and unless you are buying like 100 at once you have to wait for them to get to your painting batch.

Yeah Oaks website advertises "more available colors", however I wouldn't find that completly true since they require purchase of 100 to get another color. With as big as Oak is, I would think that they would have no problem selling stock of other colors, not like they will get stuck with them!

Yeah Oaks website advertises "more available colors", however I wouldn't find that completly true since they require purchase of 100 to get another color. With as big as Oak is, I would think that they would have no problem selling stock of other colors, not like they will get stuck with them!

You've to look at it from their perspective..

Like all businesses they have to manage their costs. Imagine you are the owner of Oak. Would you tie up money in inventory that has other colors that don't sell as fast as their standard colors? Would you be willing to pay more for a larger warehouse to store them and then raise your prices on all your products to cover the additional overhead?

You've to look at it from their perspective..

Like all businesses they have to manage their costs. Imagine you are the owner of Oak. Would you tie up money in inventory that has other colors that don't sell as fast as their standard colors? Would you be willing to pay more for a larger warehouse to store them and then raise your prices on all your products to cover the additional overhead?

I see your point.

I'm only saying, we all like choices! Especially when they advertise "additional colors available". Would it be too much to ask to have at least one optional color choice besides red that's "available" without having to order 100 machines?

Archived