A Open Letter to TVF Regarding Performa

mission vending

The reason I am posting this and not Steve is that we have an unofficial policy that the first moderator to respond to a situation takes the lead. I was the first to respond to Performas thread about visiting Flatline. The thread was hidden for a few days as this situation has developed. It is now again visible but has been locked. http://vendiscuss.ne...nt-to-flatline/ The same goes for Performas apology thread. http://vendiscuss.ne...formal-apology/ By policy we tend to not engage in revisionist history, even when it might not be flattering, with posts and threads unless there is another violation involved.

The decision to ban Performa was not made lightly. Since I’ve been a moderator we have not banned any participating member other than the spammers or trolls that make it through screening from time to time. So the act of banning a participating member is highly unusual and banning someone as well liked and regarded as Performa is unprecedented for TVF.

When someone signs up to join TVF we, the moderators, grant the new member a level of trust that they are here for the right reasons. That is, that they want to share and learn from the experiences of others. People have come on TVF from time to time with more hidden and sinister motives and only over time we have been able to figure it out. Contrary to what is alleged we do not have the ability to intercept and read PM’s. On occasion we are given a gift when someone forgets that responding to the e-mail notification of a PM will not go to the recipient, it goes directly to Steve. Other times astute and loyal TVF members have forwarded PM’s or otherwise brought our attention to something or someone and for that we are always grateful.

So with that let me share with you part of a message from Performa to another member

……..Something that does bother me is the list of great people who aren't around anymore. Where did they go? Why did they go? Why do these questions get shot down? Back when I joined in February, there was a VERY active member named "Bouncy Balls" and this person had a lot of insight, and was well liked by the others. Then, March 7th, poof-gone without a trace, and no one will say anything. Now, I know they're still "around" (private browsing) but all the wit and insight is gone. What was so dramatic that causes someone to just up and leave a forum for good? A lot of questions with no answers, and all I get is a verbal slap from someone up the ladder. thats some Vatican City type golpher.

With the kind of characters around here I could see them ousting someone. Caserri has already made it known that he monitors IP Addresses so if they want some one out then that makes it tough to just create a new name.

Mr. Dendy and I had to move over to his system after we caught TVF personell watching www.reliable-vendor.com communications. "Somehow" Caserri found a prototype website for project "Alpha"despite it not having a name.

The Reliable Vendor Group is a group led by Rick Dendy who are hellbent on shutting the TVF down. The original Reliable Vendor site is more of a front now, I'm just a content developer. Anyway, we discovered that all of our comunications here were being monitored by "someone". Will caserri ban us? doubtful. If he does, there's a plan for that.

Ever wonder what TVF 2.0 would look like? With better management? Long story short, they are working with several other people, mostly TVF members, who are trying to build a place for vendors to chat. Then these guys will get a good lesson on what happens when you treat your people like crap. While I hate to divide a community, when a "ruling" class emerges there's not a whole lot left to do but pack up. We'll see where the TVF goes from here. end

The first part was redacted as there are individuals named that are not part of this discussion.

Again, I only wish we had the ability to "monitor communications" as alleged.

Interesting enough “bouncy balls” left on his own accord after Steve deleted some of his posts attacking another member. He thought that it was heavy handed “censorship”. Something that Performa feels we don't do with the "ruling class". We chose not to say anything in order to let his contributions speak for themselves and not let the end of his participation in TVF tarnish this. He is still considered a member and is welcome back any time he chooses to return, his “exile” is self imposed. This is also the incident that led Steve to ask for help which wound up being Sherlock and myself.

If you have issue with how things are run then you need to say so. We can’t fix things that are perceived by the members to be broken if we don’t know about it.

If you want to leave then leave, that's your right. I’ve said it before competition is a good thing, if you think you can create a better forum then by all means go ahead. We have no problem with anyone participating in multiple forums. We do have a problem with someone coming in and recruiting our members from within. This is why Performa has been banned.

So tell me, how would you respond to a existential threat from within? Comments are being solicited and are welcome.

Mike

Mr. Dendy and I had to move over to his system after we caught TVF personell watching www.reliable-vendor.com communications. "Somehow" Caserri found a prototype website for project "Alpha"despite it not having a name.

The Reliable Vendor Group is a group led by Rick Dendy who are hellbent on shutting the TVF down. The original Reliable Vendor site is more of a front now, I'm just a content developer. Anyway, we discovered that all of our comunications here were being monitored by "someone". Will caserri ban us? doubtful. If he does, there's a plan for that.

Ever wonder what TVF 2.0 would look like? With better management? Long story short, they are working with several other people, mostly TVF members, who are trying to build a place for vendors to chat. Then these guys will get a good lesson on what happens when you treat your people like crap. While I hate to divide a community, when a "ruling" class emerges there's not a whole lot left to do but pack up. We'll see where the TVF goes from here. end

So tell me, how would you respond to a existential threat from within? Comments are being solicited and are welcome.

Mike

From this it seems there are others that should be banned as well, are more to come? It looks like rdendy for one is still an active member, I would think he needs to be kicked out with performa!

It is my opinion that Performa used the post to entice members to visit the Reliable Vendor website to read about the experience. If he indeed cared about TVF, then he would have posted about the experience here, instead of baiting with the story and then trying to reel members in. That is why the link was considered harmful. Simply put-He was recruiting members to the other website.

I for one wouldn't be where I am today if it were not for this website, and I fully support the decision to ban him.

I agree with Will. I am glad that action has been taken on this matter. Approaching 2 years as a member here, I felt like performa's thread promoting reliable vendor was/is total betrayal of TVF. He really degraded and offended many people in our community here at TVF. I recall rdendy posted a similar thread (that was quickly hidden?) promoting his website with a "free" raffle. I don't see any differences in that thread compared to the thread perfoma created. They both had outside links to reliablevendor. Similar action needs to be administered to rdendy as well as any other known infiltrators of TVF. There is no reason why they should have access to our content and community if they are betraying us.

Niether of you have obviously looked at RV, truth is we heavily promote TVF on every page, we are loyal to TVF and the fact is one is a forum, the other a article site, two different concepts and not dyametrically opposed as you make it out to be.

Niether of you have obviously looked at RV, truth is we heavily promote TVF on every page, we are loyal to TVF and the fact is one is a forum, the other a article site, two different concepts and not dyametrically opposed as you make it out to be.

I am simply basing my comments on performa's letter stating that that site is a front for "TVF2.0" How do you defend his comments that you are the leader in shutting this site down?

Interesting. I have seen a lot of good vending blogs come and go. I think the folks here do a good job of house keeping. I think sometimes I get close to the line on responses too! But, the advertising thing is a little much. For what it is worth there are some really seasoned operators here and as far as competition to this site goes there is none worth worrying about.

Am i somehow "betraying" your forum here when i talk about my website?? I have been a longtime member of this forum but really only started posting a couple months ago...I was always active in the yahoo groups for years but they seem to have got quiet so when i chimed back into this site and seen all the chit chat i got excited.

My site is no way is a forum, just e commerce site selling one type of machine...I have operated every type of machine and that is what i have been posting about,not trying to sell my stuff.. please warn me if i P -- off the boss, I don't want to get fired!!

ron

I am simply basing my comments on performa's letter stating that that site is a front for "TVF2.0" How do you defend his comments that you are the leader in shutting this site down?

I defend it by not knowing about it. I can have a forum setup in about 2 hours if I wanted but as explained to C and the moderators, I don't want to deal with it, don't have the time nor want to rebuild something that already exsists! It was never even discussed or brought up to my knowledge before today.

wow people taking forums way too seriously LOL

i dont know what he thought was wrong with the management here i think they are very hands-off compared to other forums.

i do not think he should have been banned but hey i am not running the show. i have some thoughts on

rules that would make the site a little more productive for everyone but like i said, aint my show. overall

the mods do a good job i think

I would also like to ask one simple question in my defense, if I did indeed have bad intentions for TVF why on earth would I promote them on RV? Would KFC tell their patrons to go over to Popeyes for the best chicken around? Would any of you tell one of your customers to use another vendors machines? I believe actions speak louder than words, I stand behind my actions, I cannot help what others believe, but I think if most think about it, you have to agree. It is for that reason I believe I have not been banned yet.

I, for one, think TVF will not be as strong without Rdendy or Performa. They are both very active and are quick add relevant info in most threads and I hate to see either one of them go. Any chance for clemency for the RV duo? What Performa wrote was seemingly subversive but perhaps he was caught on a bad day. Are all of the good deeds of a man washed away with a single mistake? Why not let him back in for a probationary period to give him a chance to make amends for his statement or at least defend himself in an open forum.

Don't get me wrong, I love TVF and am a member for life but I can not help but think that Performa and Rdendy were two of the more active members and always quick to mix it up. I would hate for a hasty decision to limit or eliminate their participation on TVF for both their sake and the sake of the forums.

From this it seems there are others that should be banned as well, are more to come? It looks like rdendy for one is still an active member, I would think he needs to be kicked out with performa!

What about the hacking incident? Who was responsible for that? Both Nick505 and myself were online when it happened. Was it a retaliatory strike or just some tech-heads having fun???

Rdendy has not violated any rules or policies, he was pulled into this by being named by someone else and we see no need to take any actions against him.

So is Performa gone for good or is this temporary? Does he have any chance at clemency? I realize what he wrote in a PM to someone is very damning evidence against him but he has not had a chance to defend himself in an open forum.

Before I comment further. Does this all relate more closely to the Pro Vending section that I cannot acces yet?

From what I read in that message i really dont see what there is to "oust" as far as forum hierarchy goes.

What about the hacking incident? Who was responsible for that? Both Nick505 and myself were online when it happened. Was it a retaliatory strike or just some tech-heads having fun???

You beat me to it Jax. I didn't want to open another can of worms, but I would like to know what that was all about as well.

The post above taken from a message sent by Performa to another TVF member includes the comment:

The Reliable Vendor Group is a group led by Rick Dendy who are hellbent on shutting the TVF down

TVF members can only take one of two views on the comment quoted above.

Either we believe that Performa was telling the truth about RDendy and his efforts with the rest of the group at Reliable Vendor to shut TVF down.

Or, we must believe that Peforma was being dishonest and falsely accused a fellow TVF member (RDendy) of something very disturbing.

Neither is a forgivable offense IMO.

Regardless of which of the two views you take on Performa's comment, it's either an admission of intent to harm TVF or an outright false claim against his friend and fellow TVF member Rdendy.

Either way, it's a serious offense towards this forum and its members.

The post above taken from a message sent by Performa to another TVF member includes the comment: The Reliable Vendor Group is a group led by Rick Dendy who are hellbent on shutting the TVF down TVF members can only take one of two views on the comment quoted above. Either we believe that Performa was telling the truth about RDendy and his efforts with the rest of the group at Reliable Vendor to shut TVF down. Or, we must believe that Peforma was being dishonest and falsely accused a fellow TVF member (RDendy) of something very disturbing. Neither is a forgivable offense IMO. Regardless of which of the two views you take on Performa's comment, it's either an admission of intent to harm TVF or an outright false claim against his friend and fellow TVF member Rdendy. Either way, it's a serious offense towards this forum and its members.

It could also be a man who had a bad day blowing off steam and making false grandiose claims in a private message as a means to vent. Don't you think he should have a chance to post his side of the story as opposed to our postulating as to his intent.

It could also be a man who had a bad day blowing off steam and making false grandiose claims in a private message as a means to vent.

His reasons for writing what he did do not make his comments any less disturbing or any more acceptable...even if written because he was having a bad day.

It would be hard to trust a member who, upon the course of a bad day, chose to lash out against a forum and a friend/business-partner with a terrible lie.

And even harder to trust a member who is part of a group intent on "shutting down TVF".

Either way.

Am i somehow "betraying" your forum here when i talk about my website?? I have been a longtime member of this forum but really only started posting a couple months ago...I was always active in the yahoo groups for years but they seem to have got quiet so when i chimed back into this site and seen all the chit chat i got excited.

My site is no way is a forum, just e commerce site selling one type of machine...I have operated every type of machine and that is what i have been posting about,not trying to sell my stuff.. please warn me if i P -- off the boss, I don't want to get fired!!

ron

Ron, stating your opinion, even if I don't agree does not get you in trouble. As long as you adhere to the advertising policy there is no problem there either. A simple rule of thumb, your website link in your signature is fine, linking to another website in the body of a post is fine as long as you don't own, control or provide content to it.

i do not think he should have been banned but hey i am not running the show. i have some thoughts on

rules that would make the site a little more productive for everyone but like i said, aint my show. overall

the mods do a good job i think

Always willing to entertain suggestions for improvement, here or PM.

I, for one, think TVF will not be as strong without Rdendy or Performa. They are both very active and are quick add relevant info in most threads and I hate to see either one of them go. Any chance for clemency for the RV duo? What Performa wrote was seemingly subversive but perhaps he was caught on a bad day. Are all of the good deeds of a man washed away with a single mistake? Why not let him back in for a probationary period to give him a chance to make amends for his statement or at least defend himself in an open forum.

Don't get me wrong, I love TVF and am a member for life but I can not help but think that Performa and Rdendy were two of the more active members and always quick to mix it up. I would hate for a hasty decision to limit or eliminate their participation on TVF for both their sake and the sake of the forums.

No question about it, Performa has been one of the most active members here over the last few months. No question that short term him not being here leaves a significant void and is a loss to the community. However, back to the OP, I mentioned the trust that is afforded everyone that joins, a trust that grew significantly over time as well has been betrayed. I cannot assign motives to what he wrote, I'm not in his head. The fact remains is that he wrote them and as moderators we have to make decisions based on what people write, even if it is based on something that was revealed.

If I was not absolutely certain that those were Performas words I would not have started this thread. Do you think I would start a controversy like this unless I was positive?

Mission,

You make a valid point. Performa will be missed but a trust has been violated and action needed to be taken. That being said, it is only fair to give a man a chance to respond to his accusers in as open a forum as he has been condemned. Perhaps Performa got his day in court behind the scenes and I am just unaware but I hate for someone to be condemned on a piece of evidence, no matter how damning, without the benefit of being able to explain himself.

On a side note, I realize to keep the forums running smoothly sometimes tough decisions like these need to be made and I am thankful for how the group of moderators and administrators have this forum running like a well oiled machine. It has become as regular a stop for me as checking my email and is an invaluable resource for both rookies and veterans alike. What ever your decision is, I will respect it.

The one thing that just doesn't make sense is if Performa was "hellbent on shutting the TVF down", why would he be such an asset to the site and be possibly the most frequent and insightful poster during his time here? This really must be a misunderstanding and I implore the powers that be to give him a chance to explain himself . . . if for no other reason than for closure.

Archived